The Modern Way to Transform Your Smile While Traveling the World
This post was sponsored by the Invisalign® brand and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
“One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.”
– Arthur Ashe
Nothing is more important to me than my children being happy and confident! And I want them to be confident inside and out! When Jackson turned 11 this week, we knew it was time to get him started on correcting his smile.
He is one of the happiest kids I know and he’s constantly smiling! But lately, he’s been a little less confident about his smile. He has an overbite, some crowding, and he has trouble with sleep apnea due to his jaw alignment. He was ready to start correcting his smile, but was also terrified to get traditional braces, so we started looking for a practical alternative.
Why We are Choosing Invisalign® Treatment
Since we travel so often, we wanted to explore Invisalign® treatment to ensure we had the involvement of a professional with a solution that also fit our on-the-go lifestyle. We’ve gone through the traditional braces process before with his siblings and it really put a damper on our travel schedules!
Not only would Invisalign® treatment allow us to travel more frequently, but it would also help Jackson to feel more confident about his smile while it is being corrected. He’s starting middle school this year, and that’s hard enough without the added metal in your mouth!
Here are just a few other reasons why we are choosing Invisalign® treatment:
- The cost is often comparable to traditional braces.
- It is the most advanced clear aligner system in the world
- Made of Smart Track material which allows for more comfort and predictability than other aligners*
- Backed by 20+ years of innovation and over 6 million patients with simple to complex cases**
- Fewer emergency appointments mean more time to travel.
- Easier to maintain good oral hygiene: The aligners can be removed for better brushing and flossing than with traditional braces.
- No embarrassing food stuck in your braces.
- No broken brackets or poking wires.
- Nearly-clear aligners mean a more confident smile during treatment.
What is Invisalign® treatment?
I wasn’t entirely sure what Invisalign® treatment was or how it worked before we started looking into it, but have learned so much since our first appointment. Invisalign® treatment is the most advanced clear aligner system in the world. The treatment consists of nearly transparent, removable aligners that gently straighten your teeth and your bite. Only Invisalign® treatment uses SmartTrack® material that straightens teeth with more predictability than other clear aligners*.
I was surprised to learn that Invisalign® treatment has actually been around for over 20 years and they’ve helped over 6 million people have more confident smiles**!
* Compared to off-the-shelf, single layer .030in material
** Data on file at Align Technology as of October 29, 2018
My original concerns about Invisalign® treatment
- Qualifying for Invisalign® treatment: I was worried that Jackson wouldn’t qualify for Invisalign® treatment due to issues with his overbite and jaw alignment, but at his first consultation I was surprised to learn that Invisalign® treatment can do even more than just straighten teeth. It can also be used to fix bite issues!
- Intrusiveness: I worried that Invisalign® treatment would be too cumbersome inside Jackson’s mouth, but after seeing how thin the aligners are, I’m not concerned at all.
- Cost: I was worried about the cost of Invisalign® treatment, but I learned that the cost is often comparable to traditional wire braces and many dental plans cover the cost like they would for traditional braces. Be sure to check with your insurance provider to see if that’s an option.
How I confirmed my son’s eligibility for Invisalign® treatment?
Finding out if Jackson was eligible for Invisalign® treatment was simple. We set up a consultation with our orthodontist, who did an assessment to determine if he would be a good candidate. Invisalign® treatment can treat simple to complex orthodontic cases.
What to expect at the first appointment
Here’s what you need to know about your Invisalign® treatment consultation:
- Plan for about a 1-hour assessment
- You or your child will have X-rays taken
- A scan of your teeth will likely be done using an iTero machine to create a 3-D model instead of traditional impressions, which I still remember gagging on as a kid
- Your orthodontist will show you how the aligners fit onto your teeth and how they work
How does Invisalign® treatment work?
Our first appointment was a fascinating learning experience for us. We were able to see a 3-D model of his entire mouth made from the scans they performed. Your provider maps out the whole custom treatment plan in advance including tooth movement and approximate length of treatment time. We were even able to see what Jackson’s new smile could look like at the end of treatment!
But how does it work? Each set of Invisalign® clear aligners shifts the teeth slightly, moving them horizontally, vertically and even rotating them when needed. The aligners are engineered to use the right amount of force in the right place at the right time until the smile is just perfect.
There are so many benefits of choosing Invisalign® treatment and we are so excited to get started! Stay tuned to see Jackson’s smile progress and visit Invisalign.com to see if Invisalign® treatment is the right fit for your tween or teen.